Sunday, August 15, 2010

Are You Ready for Some Football?!


So much anticipation, so little time.

The beginning of the English Premier League campaign can be a strange one, timing-wise, for an American sports lover, as the pennant races are in full swing, NFL preseason games have begun, and the PGA continues, with basketball and hockey waiting in the wings.

As the years have progressed, my love for true football – soccer – has grown, as evidenced by this blog, but I've never lost my allegiances and passion for my hometown Gophers, Twins, Vikings, Wild, and even Timber-Chihuahuas (Timberwolves).

Yet, while I watched brief stretches of the Twins and Vikings games this weekend, I watched the entire Spurs v City and Pool v Arsenal matches, along with the first half of Villa v West Ham.

There's something strange about watching 3-4 hours of football during our all-too-brief Minnesota summer, especially when it doesn't involve United. And, next weekend, we'll order a month's worth of the football package on the in-laws DirecTV just to watch Fulham v United during a potentially-glorious Sunday morning at the lake cabin.

Please do not read into this commentary that I'm complaining or whining. Far from it. I'm ecstatic with the start of the EPL Season. But, on such occasions, both my outdoor nature and other sports allegiances feel somewhat conflicted, somewhat restrained by football passions.

Which brings me to United v Newcastle.

I freakin' hate waiting until Monday for this match, as my work schedule won't allow me to watch it live, regrettably, but thankfully the game's timing does allow United's players an extra-and-needed day or two of rest.

Tomorrow, I'll head home from work hoping my own personal media blackout will hold and not ruin the result for me and another United supporter or two that will manage to avoid all things football related until the DVR-provided 5:30pm CDT kickoff.

One benefit of being in America is the ability to successfully maintain a media blackout for EPL matches. True enough.

Another benefit of being Stateside is watching entire football matches on weekend mornings, thereby giving you the afternoon and evening for important, non-footballing pursuits, such as attending a good friend's wedding without any conflict, for example. Another bonus.

The HUGE drawback of being in the US is the time difference for any midweek games that kickoff midday, such the need to take vacation to watch important Champions League matches. That bites.

So, as Hank Williams Jr. warms up his NFL intro, yes indeed, I'm more than ready for some real football.

Cheers. Back at you on Tuesday with thoughts about the opening match.

No comments: