Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Blown Cover

When unable to watch United live on midday, midweek games due to work, I go into typical media blackout routine… No internet. Avoid personal email and voice mail for a few hours. No problem. Most Americans are oblivious to these midday EPL matches.

Thus, the result’s kept a mystery to enjoy with other media-blackout-subscribing United fans or watch alone in the comforts of home – something to really look forward to in the evening. After all there are only 38 EPL matches per season.

Which is why today’s events prove troublesome.

Sometimes between work and United on the DVR, I hit the health club for a quick workout. I already know to avoid eye contact with ESPN’s sports ticker or highlights shows playing on any of the TVs.

If by some chance highlights start while I’m churning away on the stationary bike, I’m always quick to look away and avoid knowing the result. Practiced, I am.

That was until today.

It didn’t dawn on me that wearing an old, ratty 2006/2007 Premier League Champions t-shirt would puncture the media blackout.

After getting my workout gear on, including my iPod shuffle with Brother Ali’s “Champion” playing in the background, I moved to the drinking fountain to fill up my 24-ounce water bottle. While waiting for the water to fill-up, I standing there enjoying Brother Ali, thinking about the workout and anticipating watching footy.

Just then, a guy approaches me, points to the crest on the shirt, as if wanting to start a conversation, and cuts right to it “Hey, I saw you drew today. What do you…oh…”

He stops when he sees the pained expression on my face and immediately realizes what just happened.

First, I’ll give him credit for saying “you” drew today – obviously, he must have sensed the presence of a devoted fan. Cheers to that.

Second, even through the Brother Ali was playing pretty loud I definitely heard “draw” when uttered. There’s absolutely no way to hide my train-wrecked facial expression – the deed’s done.

Then I, without the slightest mental filter, blurt-out, “I’ve got the match on DVR and was avoiding the result...” I needn’t say more; the guy gives me a pained smile; he’s off.

It’s simply another football fan wanting to chat about United or the EPL title race, but alas, not today – no way, no how.

Thus, you, my dear reader are getting my latest blog post before I even watch the match. No analysis, commentary, or unique spin on the result from this post: just my story.

And, I should have known better.

The April 6th column in the Wall Street Journal’s MarketWatch entiled “Champions League paces soccer’s US gains” was a huge clue new media blackout measures were required. The piece cites European footy as “the fastest growing televised sport in the United States” with “Fox Soccer’s average audience for the last full Premier League season, from August 2009 to May 2010, was up roughly 75 percent from the previous year.”

It goes on to say that big matches draw comparable numbers to the NHL or regular-season college basketball, which astonishes us given only 40% of households have access to these matches and that many occur during weekend morning time-slots. Incredible.

Obviously, new measures are required to keep results secret, including no more workouts prior to matches, no wearing United gear on the days in question, and a stronger vigilance for any form of media anywhere. Oh, and for Champions League knockout round deciders, I’ll take the vacation time – thank you very much. Looks like it’s absolutely necessary now. It’s a new world indeed.

Now, switching gears back to Newcastle v United…

I know we drew 0-0 in a year that still feels like the title race is up for grabs, given how often United and Arsenal match each other in dropping points.

It’s got the feel of “I’ve got it, I’ve got it… you take it” sort of title race, as I also know that there were a couple of controversial non-penalty calls and that United missed a couple of guilt-edged chances.

That’s two games running now without a goal. Nothing to sweat about just yet, but we’re well into skinny bum time, so the opportunity sits there for Sir Alex’s men to grab – hint, hint. Plus, we’ve got the Champions League again next week. Love the football fixture pile-up, as it’s great for us, the fans.

And you’ll be happy to know that my vacation time’s already been approved for May 4th. No blackout rules required. So, I got that going for me, which is nice.

----

Back at you after the Everton match. Cheers.

The Lincoln Lawyer: A Novel

No comments: